Your privacy is important to us and we are committed to safeguarding the personal data of our users and website visitors.
We want to be clear about the data we collect and process and we have updated our Privacy Notice to reflect the high standards established with the new EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- We will not collect your Personal Information without your knowledge or in a manner inconsistent with the GDPR legislation.
- We will not share your Personal Information to third parties unless legally obliged to.
- We will allow you to view, correct or remove your Personal Information and other information that is accessible at any time
- We will take reasonable steps to protect the security of the Personal Information we collect from you
The remainder of this policy describes how we will treat your personal information.
Legitimate interests pursued by SICSA
To promote the marketing and services offered by SICSA as outlined in the section “The purpose for which we hold and may use your information”.
The information which we may hold about you
- Personal details such as title, name, postal address, email address and contact telephone numbers
- Details of your visits to our website, including but not limited to personally identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses
The source of the information we hold about you
- Information submitted to us through the SICSA website
- Information submitted to us via the SICSA mailing lists – https://www.sicsa.ac.uk/join-our-mailing-lists/
- Information provided by you to us whilst attending / visiting a SICSA event
- Information collected automatically when visiting the SICSA website (see Cookies section for more information).
Please note when you submit your personal information and any necessary information relating to other people, you’re confirming that you have permission to do so and have read and agreed the terms and conditions of this privacy notice.
The purpose for which we hold and may use your information
- Membership of SICSA mailing lists – for information on various SICSA activities (for example: SICSA Research Themes, Events, Funding Programmes)
- To promote SICSA activities, funding opportunities; and events.
- To promote opportunities for corporate sponsorship of SICSA activities or events
- To conduct occasional surveys about SICSA events and funding, where relevant
How long will we hold your information for?
Your information will be held on our mailing list data base indefinitely until such a time that you unsubscribe. If we are unable to successfully deliver information to you via the mailing lists (i.e. bounces or email account closed down) we will remove your contact details from the database and safely delete them.
Sharing information about you with other organisations
We will not readily share your information with third party organisations, but we may in some cases disclose your Personal Information to meet legal obligations, regulations or valid governmental request.
Adjusting your browser’s cookie settings
Adjusting your browsers cookies is dependent on the Internet browser being used. The Help feature on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies. Alternatively, you should check with the vendor whose browser you are using for specific details on how to do this.
Protecting your information
The security of your personal information is important to us and we are committed to keeping data safe and secure. We have in place a number of security measures to protect against any unauthorised access or damage to, or disclosure or loss of, your personal information. However, all publicly accessible websites are susceptible to malicious practices, and we accept no liability if security is breached.
We do not broker or pass on information gained from your engagement with us without your consent. However, we may disclose your Personal Information to meet legal obligations, regulations or valid governmental request. We may also enforce our Terms and Conditions, including investigating potential violations of our Terms and Conditions to detect, prevent or mitigate fraud or security or technical issues; or to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of SICSA, our people, our users and/or the wider community.
We further undertake that we will not hold information about you which is excessive in respect of the purposes for which it is processed.
Who will hold your information
Your information will be held by the Scottish Informatics and Computer Science Alliance (SICSA).
SICSA is an SFC-funded research pool and is part of the University of Glasgow, University Avenue, Glasgow, G12 8QQ.
SICSA is called the “Data Controller” because it has control over and responsibility for your personal information.
SICSA is the owner of the website www.sicsa.ac.uk.
Keeping your information up to date
If any of the information that you have provided to SICSA changes, for example if you change your email address, name or any other details, please let us know the correct details by sending an email to email@example.com.
Data is held in The United Kingdom using different (multiple) servers. SICSA does not store personal data outside the EEA.
Your rights as a data subject
At any point whilst SICSA is in possession of or processing your personal data, all data subjects have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply you have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
SICSA at your request in writing can confirm what information it holds about you and how it is processed.
You can request the following information
- Contact details of the data protection officer, where applicable.
- The purpose of the processing as well as the legal basis for processing.
- If the processing is based on the legitimate interests of SICSA or a third party
- The categories of personal data collected, stored and processed.
- Recipient(s) or categories of recipients that the data is/will be disclosed to.
- How long the data will be stored.
- Details of your rights to correct, erase, restrict or object to such processing.
- Information about your right to withdraw consent at any time.
- How to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority (Data Protection Regulator).
- Whether the provision of personal data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract, as well as whether you are obliged to provide the personal data and the possible consequences of failing to provide such data.
- The source of personal data if it wasn’t collected directly from you.
To access this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
If you have any queries about the process or how SICSA handles your information, you should bring this to our attention without any delay so that we can deal with your concerns and queries. We would also welcome any suggestions for improving our process and procedures.
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed please contact SICSA. If you do not get a response within 30 days you can complain to the Data Protection Regulator.
Data Protection Regulator
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF
T: 0030 123 1113
University of Glasgow
School of Computing Science
T: 0141 330 8626
SICSA is part of the University of Glasgow. To contact the University of Glasgow’s Data Protection Office:
Data Protection Office
University of Glasgow
T: 0141 330 3111